Boiling water can sometimes become a dilemma, but microwaves give you a quick and efficient way out. You do not have to wait and heat up your water on a stove now. But the question is how long to boil water in the microwave? So, the answer totally depends on the wattage of your home microwave and what you need your water for. We will discuss all the factors that are involved in perfectly boiling the water. We will also highlight the risks and precautions while using a microwave for boiling water in an oven. So, read along!
Microwaves Heat Water Faster than other Methods
There are many reasons why microwaves can boil water faster compared to other methods. Some of them are here to enlighten you.
Microwaves use shorter wavelength the excite the particles of water which generates heat and make them boil faster as compared to our traditional stoves.
The time a microwave takes to boil water is dependent on its wattage and the amount of water you are heating.
A microwave oven entirely depends on its power output. If it has higher wattage that means it will cook faster. Usually, microwaves used in homes are from 600 to 1200 watts.
- A 1200 watts microwave takes 1 minute 30 seconds to boil water.
- A 1000 watts microwave takes 2 minutes to boil water.
- An 800 watts microwave takes 2 minutes 30 seconds to boil water.
- A 700 watts microwave takes 3 minutes to boil water.
- A 600 watts microwave takes 4 minutes to boil water.
How to Boil Water in a Microwave
If you need a quick fix for boiling water a microwave can prove very useful. It not only saves time but serves the purpose as well. Here’s how you can do it:
Firstly, take a microwave-safe utensil. Ensure the container has enough space so the water doesn’t spill after boiling.
Secondly, place the container of water in the microwave with the timer for 2 minutes.
Lastly, check if the water is boiled to your desired temperature, take it out carefully if it’s boiled, or add 30 seconds more if it’s not. So, here you go with your hot water in no time!
Safety Precautions to Boil Water in Microwave
You should take some precautions while boiling water in the microwave, so some of them are mentioned here as well.
- A microwave-safe container should be used when you are boiling water in a microwave.
- The container should not be overfilled as water needs more space to expand once it’s boiled.
- If you heating a lot of water, make sure to stir it after intervals as microwaves usually unevenly heat the water.
- Always heat water for 2 minutes, and check if water has reached its boiling point, if it hasn’t added 30 seconds more until it boils to avoid any spill.
- Carefully remove the container away from your face as the steam can burn you.
Risks of Boiling Water in Microwave
When it comes to boiling water, there are a few risks that come along with using the microwave.
- Water can actually explode inside the microwave as it can get overheated and boil.
- Moreover, water should be heated properly to kill all the bacteria otherwise it would make you sick. So, it should be heated to at least 2 minutes for all the bacteria present in it.
- Lastly, be careful while removing hot water from the microwave or you can burn yourself. The steam from it can burn you. So, use oven mitts or a towel to hold your cup.
How long does it take to boil water in a microwave?
Wattage determines the duration of water boiling in a microwave oven. So, if you have a 1000-watt microwave, it should take 2 minutes. However, if a microwave has 800 wattages, it could take 2.5 minutes.
How long does it take to boil water in a 700 watts microwave?
So, a microwave with 700 wattages can take up to 3 minutes to boil water.
Is it fine to boil water in a microwave?
Yes, you can boil water in a microwave but make sure to use a microwave-safe utensil to avoid any accidents.
How long should we boil water for tea?
Usually, we heat water for 1 minute in a microwave-safe mug to make tea. But if you like your tea super hot you may heat it for 1 minute 30 seconds.
Boiling water in the microwave is a great way to save time when you need hot water for cooking or making tea. Knowing how long it takes to boil water in the microwave can help you better plan your meal and beverage preparation. Generally, it will take between 1-3 minutes depending on how much water you are boiling. Be sure to use caution when removing hot containers from the microwave and always follow the safety instructions provided by your particular microwave model.