When it comes to developing different enterprise software applications, there are several options available for developers. Some of the most popular programming languages, application development frameworks, and code repository services are the go-to tools for programmers. However, the process of creating custom software with these tools is often time-consuming and challenging for developers.
A look at the modern software industry shows that there is a growing demand for applications that are easy to build, use, and update. As a result, Mendix low code application development platforms have emerged as an alternative to traditional coding methods. These platforms enable users to create software applications by following instructions instead of writing lines of code directly. This article explores some of the top low code development platforms and their use cases so you can decide if they are right for your organization’s needs.
What is a Low Code Application Development Platform?
A low code application development platform is a tool that enables users to quickly create software applications without needing to write code. Often known as visual or visual modeling tools, these platforms provide a drag-and-drop interface with pre-populated fields that let you add features like buttons, forms, and graphs to your application.
Low code platforms are generally used when there is a need for a quick and simple application that does not require a large amount of customization. In most cases, these platforms allow you to create applications without writing a single line of code. However, low code platforms are not to be confused with no code platforms. No code platforms allow you to create applications without writing any code whatsoever; low code platforms let you write code but with a simplified process.
Why use a low code platform?
Low code platforms are useful for many organizations that are looking to build custom software but lack the resources or technical know-how to do so. Some businesses that could benefit from using a low code platform include eCommerce retailers, educational institutes, healthcare providers, and many more. There are several benefits of using a low code platform to build your applications.
- Low Cost: Since you don’t need to hire developers to build your application, a low code platform lets you save significant amounts of money.
- Fast Deployment: Many low code platforms enable you to create your application within days, weeks, or even hours. This means you can deploy your application quickly and efficiently.
- Easy to Scale: Many low code platforms use a SaaS business model, which means you can easily scale your application as your company grows.
- Easy to Customize: Low code platforms are often highly customizable and allow you to adapt your application to your specific business needs.
Build an Employee Directory Portal
Identity management is a critical aspect of enterprise software applications, and an employee directory portal is one of the most common identity management solutions. An employee directory is an application that lets employees view and edit their information, such as their name and contact details. You can build an employee directory portal with a low code development platform by following these steps.
- Define the User Experience: The first step in creating any application is to define the user experience. You can do this by asking yourself a handful of questions, such as, “Who will be using this application?” and “What are they trying to achieve?” Once you have this information, you can start designing the user interface with drag-and-drop widgets.
- Design the Data Model: Once you have designed the user interface, the next step is to design the data model. Data modeling is the process of deciding how your data is structured, and it is crucial when building any application. With the employee directory application, you would likely create a table where each row represents an employee and each column represents the information they will enter into the system.
- Build the Front-end: The final step is to build the front-end. This is when you write the code behind the application by using the programming language that the low code platform uses. You can use this language to create the database tables, write functions, and include any other code that is needed for the application.
Low code application development platforms are useful for businesses that need to build custom software but lack the resources or technical know-how to do so. With a low code platform, you can build applications such as an employee directory portal, an employee payroll portal, and an eLearning portal for trainings. These platforms are helpful because they let you create software without writing code.