Immunity in children is always a matter of concern for parents. Making sure that your child is safe from common health issues requires the right nutrition.
In addition to the regular diet, choosing a good immune booster for child is highly recommended. However, it is important to get the right product to ensure safety and maximum benefits for your little one.
Immune Boosters, with respect to the diet refer to supplements that you can give your child to provide additional nutrients. They are specially formulated to provide nutrients that the immune system needs to function to its best ability.
Just like adults, there are specific nutrients that children need to strengthen their immunity. This includes protein, vitamins, and minerals mostly. Vitamins like beta carotene, Vitamin C, and minerals like zinc are necessary every day in the right dosage to ensure a faster immune response. These immune booster drinks or supplements are formulated for specific age groups so that they can get the recommended daily intake of these nutrients.
Immune boosters are available as chewy tablets, syrups, or health drinks. The latter is the most popular one as it is safe and easy to use.
There are many milk powders and children’s beverages that claim to improve immunity in children. However, not all of them are healthy choices. When you are picking an immune booster drink, there are some tips that you can follow:
- Check the ingredients on the label: The nutritional label is the most important thing when it comes to choosing the right immune booster for your child. You must pay attention to the order of nutrients and the number of nutrients on the label. The ones that are mentioned at the top are the ones that have the highest composition. Choose a drink with protein as the top ingredient, as it is one of the most important nutrients for the repair and regeneration of immune cells. Make sure that sugar is not among the top ingredients. It should be mentioned in the middle or end of the chart.
- Look for hidden forms of sugar: There are several names used for sugar on the nutritional labels. This includes sucrose, liquid glucose, or corn solids. It is a good idea to know about the common names used for sugar on the packages as there are close to 63 of them.
- Choose the right base: There are two kinds of immune booster drinks- malt and milk-based. If your child is lactose intolerant, choose a malt-based drink and if your child is gluten intolerant, choose a milk-based drink. These bases are added to make the drink creamy and thick so that children enjoy them more.
- The formula should be age-based- The nutritional requirement is different for each age group. So, a product that is appropriate for the age group that your child belongs to is important.
An immune booster drink has several benefits which makes it a good addition to your child’s diet. However, it is very important to note that an immune booster is only useful if it is added to a balanced diet.
Here are some reasons why you may need an immune booster drink for your child:
- The diet of the child has restrictions because of food preferences. For instance, if your child’s diet is primarily vegetarian, an immune booster acts as a good source of protein.
- Your child is a fussy eater. Then, you need more variety and options to fulfill your child’s dietary requirements.
- There are underlying deficiencies that might be causing issues related to immunity. In this case, make sure that you are providing your little one with an immune booster suggested by your doctor.
Immune booster drinks are an easy and convenient option to make sure that your child gets all the nutrients that are required through the day. These powders are extremely versatile as well. They can be used in baking goodies for your child, foods like pancakes, cereal and a lot more. With multiple flavours, these drinks are also enjoyed by children.
Better immunity helps your child stay active. The immune system is not only about helping one recover from illnesses. A strong immune system also helps the body recover after strenuous physical activity, which is very common in the case of children. So, make sure that you pay attention to it.
In addition to a diet rich in fresh fruits, vegetables, and natural food sources, there are some simple changes that you can bring into your child’s lifestyle to improve immunity:
- Ensure more sleep: The strength of the immune system weakens when children are sleep deprived. In the growing years, naps are important for children to get enough sleep. However, if it is not possible for your little one to sleep, put them to bed earlier so that they can get plenty of rest.
- Physical activity is important: The immune cells increase in number and become stronger when your child is physically active. Adding active exercise besides playtime to your child’s routine is highly beneficial. Activities like skating, cycling, and sports keep children fit and healthy.
- Avoid antibiotics: Many parents feel the need to give the child an antibiotic or other medication when the child is ill. Give your child medicines only if recommended by your doctor. In childhood, mild illnesses play an important role in strengthening the immune system. By using too many medicines, you take away the body’s ability to learn how to fight against different pathogens.
Focus on a healthy lifestyle with a good, balanced diet to help your child’s immune system function to its best capacity. However, after taking several measures to improve immunity, if your child still falls ill regularly or catches infections easily, make sure your visit your pediatrician. In some cases, underlying health issues need to be addressed in order to help the immune system function properly.