Efficiency in the workplace requires top-notch employees and the latest technology. Aesthetics also play a role. For an office setting to qualify as an excellent place to work, upgrades are often required to make the place as safe as possible. Surroundings must be both pleasing to look at and comfortable for employees to get work done.
Simplifying power distribution through one-cable installations is an excellent place to start, and incorporating PoE can make necessary office upgrades easy. A PoE office can support various devices, including laptops, video phones, security cameras, access control systems, and much more.
Why are Businesses Upgrading Their Offices?
Accessibility is a vital part of the modern office. In-person employees, as well as those working remotely, must be able to easily tap into computer networks. Office data centers have traditionally been made up of numerous electrical devices, each requiring a power supply cable and at least one connection wire for transmission. That sort of setup doesn’t make sense today. Cables scattered all over the floor are both hazardous and unsightly.
Combine the need for safer workspaces with the desire to make the most of operating budgets, and you have companies looking for ways to upgrade their offices while streamlining costs.
PoE can benefit your workplace by:
- Reducing clutter.
- Saving valuable space.
- Increasing flexibility.
PoE eliminates the need to hire costly electricians to install necessary wiring. It can power equipment in areas where electrical outlets do not exist, such as ceilings and floors. It can also expand to include more ports, should the need arise.
What is Power Over Ethernet (PoE)?
PoE is a power solution that allows Ethernet cables to transmit both data and power. It works using a twisted pair of Ethernet wires housed within a single cable that can drive the two connections. Versatile and efficient, PoE saves time and space. It makes it possible to power devices in places where electrical wiring is difficult to install.
In an office setting, PoE can power:
- IP intercoms
- Security cameras
- VOIP phones
- IP clocks
- Security card readers
Powered devices must be PoE-compatible.
How to Choose the Best Equipment for Your Office
Optimal office equipment will be easy to install, power, and expand as needs evolve. For these reasons, PoE-compatible equipment is the best option.
Factors to consider when installing PoE office upgrades
- The types of devices to be powered. Different devices have different power needs. Check the requirements of each device before purchasing a PoE switch.
- The distance between the devices and the PoE switch. PoE switches have a maximum length over which they can power devices. Be sure these are adequate before making a purchase.
- The number of PoE ports required to power all the office equipment. Switches come with a variable number of ports. Make certain that you will have enough ports to meet your office’s needs.
- Additional features that may be needed. PoE switches may include VLAN support, QoS, and port mirroring. If you need these, make sure the switch you choose has them.
- Budget requirements. The cost of PoE equipment can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. Set a budget before shopping to prevent overspending.
PoE is a viable option to improve the efficiency, safety, and flexibility of an office network, but you should keep your unique considerations in mind.
The Benefits of Simplified Power Distribution
When upgrading an office to include the latest technology, it makes sense to simplify power distribution for optimal efficiency through PoE. PoE makes the installation of a variety of devices easier, meaning many aspects can remain in-house. No power outlet requirements mean no electricians will need to be hired to perform an installation.
Wiring is simplified because the number of power outlets required goes down. This simplification also eliminates the need for multiple power adapters. A single Cat5e, Cat6, or Cat6A cable can deliver both power and data to end devices. This plug-and-play setup enhances safety by reducing the risk of electrical hazards. It provides optimal use of power resources and reduces consumption through central control.
Simplified power distribution offers:
- Reduced cable clutter. Consolidating power and data cables into a single cable improves the aesthetics of the office and makes it easier to maintain the cables and the attached equipment.
- Improved safety. By reducing the number of power cables in an office, the likelihood of tripping accidents is lessened. This also reduces the risk of electrical fires.
- Lower maintenance costs. Simplified power distribution makes troubleshooting and repairing problems within the system easier. This simplification of the system will reduce maintenance costs.
- Greater efficiency. By reducing the amount of energy lost in the distribution system, efficiency is increased. This saves money on energy bills.
- Improved reliability. By reducing the number of potential failure points, the reliability of power distribution becomes greatly improved. This will help ensure that critical equipment is always powered.
- Better scalability. As a business grows, simplified power distribution makes it easier to scale the system and avoid needing to make any major changes.
- Improved security. Simplified power distribution makes it more difficult for unauthorized individuals to access the power system. This helps protect critical equipment from damage or sabotage.
- Greater flexibility. It is easier to add new equipment or move existing equipment around with a simplified power distribution system. This is especially helpful for businesses that are growing or changing frequently.
Simplified power distribution offers benefits that are important for any business, including sustainability, growth, employee safety, and satisfaction.
Upgrade Your Office With Versa Technology
PoE offers a cost-effective and reliable way to upgrade any office. With the help of Versa Technology, you gain access to the latest PoE technology installed on your timeline according to your needs.