Receiving aged care services is a choice one cannot be forced into doing. No person can force you to go to a nursing home or receive such services. You can choose where to live and how to live without being persuaded. There is a lot to consider if you want to find aged care services at home. However, choosing the best-aged care services may initially be a bit overwhelming.
But with a few guidelines, you will know what to look for, what you need to avoid and key things to keep in mind. This way, you will have an idea of the best options. If you are willing to start the journey of your aged care, here are some of the things you need to know;
Discover what type of aged care you need
1. Help at home
As a person ages, living independently becomes more difficult and boring. One finds it difficult to do the things one used to do a while back. In such a case, it would be wise to ask for help. Asking for help doesn’t mean losing your edge; it’s the opposite. Once you get help with various activities in your home, you get more time to live independently. In fact, a little support will help you lead a much better life.
Help at home is different for everyone. Some may need help with their shopping and groceries. Others may need personal care such as baths, dressing and getting in and out of bed. Getting help at home will help you continue living independently in your home as long as possible.
2. Short-term care
You probably have just been discharged from the hospital, or your caretaker is taking a holiday. Choosing short-term care can help you cope with life’s disturbances.
In short-term care, there are three types. Before choosing which one to take, you must first assess your eligibility. This way, you will get the services that best suit your situation and requirements.
- Short-term restorative care: This is designed to help you slow down any difficulties you might have in your daily tasks. It can either be physical, mental or even both. One is eligibility for short-term restorative care in such cases.
- Transition care: This helps you recover after getting discharged. It provides short-term specialized care and support to help you get back on your feet. The care you get is tailored to the needs you require.
- Respite care: Respite care gives you and your caregiver a short break. You get your own space where you live independently. The time for this kind of care depends on the needs, eligibility and services available in the area. One is eligible for respite care if the caregiver cannot care for you or you need a break from the usual environment.
3. Aged care homes
You may reach a stage where you no longer feel like you can live independently at home with or without a caregiver. In such a case, you can consider an aged care home. However, leaving your home for an aged care home is challenging. First, you need to find an aged care home that will maintain the quality of your life. Since every aged home is different, you need to find one that fits your needs.
Once you decide, the next step is to take an assessment to choose the right aged care for you.
A. Take the ACAT assessment
Regardless of the aged care, you want to take, the first thing you need to do is contact the Aged Care Assessment Team. ACAT will visit your home to review it and decide your eligibility even if you reside in the homeless shelter in Adelaide. You will be given a copy of the assessment.
B. Tips for choosing a service provider
Once eligible, you might find yourself looking for an aged service provider. Here are some tips to use while selecting;
- Before contacting the ACAT for their assessment, inform your family and friends. With them, you can determine your level of need.
- Compare the different aged service providers. Talk to the different providers, their current clients and their families. This way, you will have a review of which is the best.
- Check the staff arrangements, such as their number, qualifications and the care they give.
- Check the frequency of doctors and other service providers.
- Make sure you acknowledge your rights and responsibilities.
You can get the best aged care services at home if you choose the right providers. However, although this activity may seem daunting, it’s straightforward if you follow the above tips.