Dump trucks are highly specialized commercial vehicles used for transferring various materials. The core features of most dump trucks are the same – open-box bed, hydraulic cylinder, and a special tailgate opening that allows the dumping of the materials. However, depending on the industry you’re in, you’ll want a dump truck with specific features your industry demands. This is why you should know which key features to choose before hiring a dump truck manufacturer.
What should I look for in a specialized dump truck?
When you’re in the market for a dump truck, the most important thing is to purchase a truck that will have all the necessary features and equipment and allow you to adequately streamline your worksite operations. There are several vital features every high-quality dump truck should have in order to be a viable option for purchase. Let’s see what those key features are:
Maneuverability of a dump truck is vital, especially if your worksite is in urban or suburban environments. These areas usually have high volumes of traffic, congestion, narrow streets, and right passages.
This makes large dump trucks difficult to use, which is why you should probably look for a light-duty dump truck that has advanced features for easier maneuverability. These features include a tight turning radius as well as suitable axle design for enhanced maneuvering in tight quarters.
Transmission comes in two main varieties – automatic and manual, each with distinct benefits. This is a feature you should pay close attention to, as it will enhance or hinder your dump truck utilization.
- Manual transmission: This transmission offers many gears, which allows your operators to match the speed and different brands browse used dump trucks from a multitude of brands.
- Automatic transmission: This transmission is more expensive than manual transmission, but it comes with one distinct advantage – it’s easier for both experienced and inexperienced drivers to operate.
Carrying capacity is usually the first thing business owners consider when choosing the suitable features for their dump truck. There are three distinct categories of dump trucks based on carrying capacity – light-duty, medium-duty, and heavy-duty. You should opt for the type of truck that will satisfy the daily requirements of your business.
Besides features that enhance maneuverability, operations, and capacity, you should also pay attention to some other details. Here are additional features you should look for in your dump truck:
- Stainless steel and aluminum options for maximum reliability and durability
- Manual or air-release tailgate
- Sideboard pockets for light and medium-duty trucks for increased capacity
- Various custom engineering capabilities per your exact specifications
Consult your manufacturer
Finally, if you’re having any doubts about which features to choose for your dump truck – consult your manufacturer. Give them as much detailed information of your applications and requirements as possible, and they will provide you with a list of features that will perfectly suit your needs.